Subject: RE: Flyer
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 22:11:09 -0400 (EDT)

Ron;
You will be spending more than $5000 for a flyer if you don't have an
amiga, a time base corrector and the AV hard drives, but it will be a
fraction of the cost compared to whats available on a Mac or PC and I
believe time code is going to become available at a later date.

I went to the MacWorld show last month in Boston to see what was available
on the other platforms. I spent considerable time quizing the tech-reps
about various features of their respective systems. When asked if I was
considering another non-linear system - they all said "well this doesn't
do this like the flyer" or well at this point we can only deliver S-VHS
quality (for slightly more than $40,000) or "you have to use this 3rd
party software to do that"

If time code is a must for you then you have two options: first go to
another system that has it, but be prepared to spend at least twice as
much and I'm sure that there will be things that the other system will
lack or get a flyer and wait for the time code option.

One final thought...all of these other non-linear systems use pretty much
the same AV hard drives designed for video work...so the drive cost is
comparable (yes some systems might give you more time per gig, but the
quality is less) so what you have left is the cost of the system plus the
computer to run it on...

I also talked to Micropolis and they are releasing the new 9 gig AV drives
(retail $5k or so) you should get around 2 1/2 hours on each drive (I
believe the flyer must have two AV drives for A/B roll) so that would
allow up to 5 hours of tape on the system at once.

I have faith in the guys at Newtek to set the non-linear world upside
down...

my 2 cents

Merle Ilgenfritz
system manager
The LIGHTHOUSE
Lightwave/Toaster FTP Site
[email-masked]